Rebuilding by Sir Henry

The nunnery buildings were on the north side of the church. Sir Henry used the north wall of the church and against it, on the site of the church, he built two rooms (now the library) and on the other side, on the site of the cloister, he built a staircase, etc. The eastern wall and some other parts of the eastern range of the nunnery remained, and he converted these into a drawing room and a private dining room, with a long gallery over them.

Nothing remains of the northern range, but here Sir Henry built the hall of his house, adding a fine bay window and another bay window at the northern end of his drawing room and long gallery. He kept an inner courtyard on the site of the cloister, using the ancient western wall, but Sir Henry probably built kitchens and offices on the west of it (now the dining room), and a tower at the south-west corner. He built a range of offices extending northward from the north-west corner of the house, a range of outbuildings near it, and a large gate-house [taken from Ramsey Abbey] on the north side of his entrance courtyard.

Sir Henry lived to a great age, and before his death he apparently made over the house to his son, Sir Oliver, who, in 1601, built a large semi-circular bow- window on the east side of the long gallery, supporting it upon an open loggia below.

based on The Victoria County History