from Houseful at Hinchingbrooke - Mary Stuart
The school was founded in 1565 in the small Norman building in the town
which is now the Cromwell Museum.
Geographically, Hinchingbrooke and the Grammar School were closely linked for its site and playing fields had once been part of the park and some of its ornamental trees still stood close to the stream at the boundary of the school grounds.
The Montagu family had always taken an active interest in the school and the Earl had laid the foundation stone of the grammar school's new buildings on his lands when in 1939 it became the new home of Huntingdon Grammar School.
Eventually the County Council decided to buy the House with six surrounding acres to be used as the new school. The Dower House was auctioned and became the offices of the County architect. As plans proceeded for developing the comprehensive school it was decided thatb the old Grammar School buildings would become the Lower School and the new buildings built in the House grounds would take the middle school. The sixth form would occupy the House.