Huntingdon

The first charter to refer to Huntingdon is dated 650AD, and mention is made in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles of a Huntingdon town in 656AD.

Anglo-Saxons defended themselves against the Danes and the Dane wars (ninth and tenth centuries) caused the town to be fortified by the Anglo-Saxons as chronicled in 917AD. When the Danes eventually gained possession they built defensive earthworks against the Saxon kings. Finally in 1010 the Danes took control of the whole county.

A charter to Peterborough in 974 gives Huntingdon the right to a market. Then later the right to mint coins, the earliest are dated 955-959, although there may be earlier ones as yet undiscovered.

The Anglo Saxon Chronicle records the visit of Edward the Elder entering the "burgh" of Huntingdon in 921 where he 'repaired and restored' Huntingdon Castle. Clearly whatever he repaired must have been built before that date. There are signs that the Danes built earthworks sometime in the late 9th Century and it was these fortifications that Edward attacked and seized. Edward the Elder also built the first wooden bridge at Huntingdon, which may have been built to protect the bridgehead